2022 Classes|3D Archery Talk|Forum|Bow Hunters of Alabama

A A A
Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
2022 Classes
December 10, 2021
1:43 pm
James Hornbuckle

President

Moderators

Chapter President
Forum Posts: 185
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

BHA CLASS YARDAGE & SPEED LIMITS

50 And 45 Yard Classes Stake Color Max Yds Speed Limit
*Known 50 Pink 50yds 290 fps
*Semi-Pro Pink 50yds 290 fps
*Senior Known 50 Pink 50yds 290 fps
*Women’s Known 50 Pink 50yds 280 fps
Men’s Open 45 White 45yds 280 fps
Men’s Known 45 White 45yds 280 fps
Men’s Pins 45 White 45yds 280 fps
Senior Men’s Open White 45yds 280 fps
Senior Known 45 White 45yds 280 fps
Women’s Open 45 White 45yds 280 fps
Women’s Known 45 White 45yds 280 fps
Crossbow 45 White 45yds 330 fps

40 Yard Classes Stake Color Max Yds Speed Limit
Men’s Known 40 Red 40yds 280 fps
Men’s Open 40 Red 40yds 280 fps
Men’s Pins 40 Red 40yds 280 fps
Super Senior Red 40yds 280 fps
Super Senior Known Red 40yds 280 fps
Senior Masters Red 40yds 280 fps
Senior Masters Known Red 40yds 280 fps
Senior Pins Red 40yds 280 fps
Women’s Hunter Elite Red 40yds 280 fps
Women’s Known 40 Red 40yds 280 fps
Senior Women’s Known Red 40yds 280 fps
Young Adult Open Male (15-17) Red 40yds 280 fps
Young Adult Open Female (15-17) Red 40yds 280 fps
Young Adult Pins Male (15-17) Red 40yds 280 fps
Young Adult Pins Female (15-17) Red 40yds 280 fps
Young Adult Olympic Recurve (15-17) Blue 30yds 260 fps
Young Adult Barebow Recurve (15-17) Blue 30yds 260 fps
Crossbow Red 40yds 330 fps

30 Yard Classes Stake Color Max Yds Speed Limit
Women’s Pins 30 Blue 30yds 280 fps
Men’s Pins 30
Blue 30yds 280 fps
Barebow Recurve Blue 30yds 280 fps
Olympic Recurve Blue 30yds 280 fps
Traditional Blue 30yds 280 fps

Youth Classes: The competitors in the following classes must meet the posted arrow speed limit and exhibit proper bow control while drawing their bow.
Class Stake Color Max Yrds Speed Limit
Youth Open Boys (12-14) Blue 30yds 260 fps
Youth Open Girls (12-14) Blue 30yds 260 fps
Youth Pins Boys (12-14) Blue 30yds 260 fps
Youth Pins Girls (12-14) Blue 30yds 260 fps
Youth Olympic Recurve (12-14) Yellow 25yds 240 fps
Youth Barebow Recurve (12-14) Yellow 25yds 220 fps
Eagle Open Boys (9-11) Yellow 25yds 230 fps
Eagle Open Girls (9-11) Yellow 25yds 230 fps
Eagle Pins Boys (9-11) Green 20yds 220 fps
Eagle Pins Girls(9-11) Green 20yds 220 fps
Eagle Barebow Recurve (9-11) Green 20yds 220 fps

Junior Eagle: Must be accompanied by an adult and must be able to draw their bow under control and without undue difficulty. If in the opinion of the Range Official they are having difficulty drawing and controlling the bow, they shall be required to decrease the poudage to allow them to propery draw and shoot the bow regardless of arrow speed to be able to participate.
Junior Eagle Open (6-8) Orange 15 Yds 220fps
If you have any questions contact James Hornbuckle

December 18, 2021
6:54 pm
Larry McAfee
Tuscaloosa/Northport, AL

Life Member
Forum Posts: 758

Well, I counted over 40 Classes!
This is insane!
BHA has strayed so far from where we started.
I realize we decided to adopt the ASA rules…but the classes have gotten bigger and bigger and it has grown from a deer to a monster.
I have enjoyed archery since the 60’s (when it was simple and the classes were few and MANAGEABLE).
Some classes are so small that competition is little to none. The trophies that BHA has to produce is unbelievable!
Where will it stop?? Will we be giving trophies to shoot arrows with slingshots?…and then have side classes for sights, stabilizers, point weight, speed, …color of the arrow??
Chapters are leaving. The Central Zone is down to 4, Southern Zone 8, and Northern Zone 7…I believe.
At the next BHA Board meeting we REALLY need to look at where we are and the direction we want to go.
The classes for ASA are to accommodate more shooters…it is a “for profit organization”…and the addition of classes means more money and more profit. BHA cannot compete with this organization.
I realize BHA attracts more shooters by having ASA Qualifiers but what is our purpose for 2022 and beyond? Have we strayed so far that we have morphed into another entity?
I welcome comments and constructive ideas.

P.S. I am having heart surgery on Jan. 7 and would appreciate prayers. I will be out most of January to recover and, hopefully, will see all my archery buddies in February.
My tenure as Editor for BHA is overdue and I will gracefully resign beginning in January 2022.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year!

Larry McAfee, Life Member #32

December 30, 2021
4:55 pm
Shane Bates
Springville, AL

Vice President
Webmaster
Forum Posts: 99

After reading your thoughts about the classes I thought that a look back to 20 years ago would be interesting. This is a list of BHA classes from the upcoming 2001 year.
Divisions of Shooting:
Men’s & Women’s Open -Red Stake. Shoot what you bring. 280 fps speed limit.
Men’s & Women’s Senior Open – Red Stake. 50 years and over. 280 fps speed limit.
Men’s & Women’s Unlimited – Red Stake. Release with fixed pins.
Men’s & Women’s Limited – Red Stake. Fingers with any sight.
Men’s & Women’s Bowhunter – Green Stake. Fixed pins. 100-grain field points (minimum). Stabilizer (12″ or shorter).
Men’s & Women’s Barebow – Green Stake. Use any legal BHA equipment (including release). No sights, sight-related equipment, or sight references.
Men’s & Women’s Barebow Limited – Green Stake. Use any legal BHA equipment No release aid. No sights, sight-related equipment, or sight references.
Men’s & Women’s Recurve – Blue Stake. Must use recurve or longbow (no compound). No sights, sight-related equipment, sight reference, or release aid. Shooter must hold the string with fingers. Tab or glove O.K.
Juniors – Blue Stake. Shoot what you bring.
Youth – Orange Stake. Shoot what you bring.
Cubs – White Stake. Shoot what you bring.

I counted a total of nineteen classes. Now keep in mind that during the State Championship this was increased due to the AA classes. That brings the total up to 22 classes. Everyone that’s less than 40 years old here is the definition for you:
Men’s Open, Men’s Unlimited, and Men’s Bowhunter shall have two (2) Classes. Master and “AA”, which shall be determined as follows:
The Master Class shall be comprised of the top 50% of the shooters by score.
The “AA” Class shall be comprised of the remaining 50% of the shooters by score.
If the class percentages result in a fraction, the fraction will be dropped from the upper class. (Example: If there are 15 shooters in a division where 50% of the shooters should be in Masters and 50% in “AA”, there would be seven shooters in Masters and eight in “AA”).
In case of ties at the bottom of a class, all shooters with that score shall move into the higher class. Using the above example, if there are two shooters tied with a seventh-best score, both will move into the Master’s class.
All other divisions shall have at least one Master’s class.

So…the assessment is 22 unknown distance classes. If we add the Known distance classes that are so popular now, this will increase the total substantially. I, like most everyone else, would like to trim the classes back to a dozen or less on the local level but how do we choose which ones to keep and which ones get thrown out?

Let’s consider my class for a moment. Senior Known 50. This class evolved due to 10-15 shooters participating at ASA national events wanting a pro division. These 10-15 shooters basically dominated the Senior Known 45 class so the average shooter found it hard to place in the money due to several factors which included but not limited to these factors:
Vacation time or family time to shoot.
Amount of practice needed to compete.
Income to purchase the best equipment.
In 2021 ASA made the Senior Known 45 class a move-up class. If a shooter wins $720.00 or more and 2 top 10 finishes or 1 top 5 finish you will automatically be moved to Senior Known 50. I didn’t want to leave the 45-yard class but it was the right thing to do. I’ve talked with guys who only shoot at national events because they have to work 6 and 7 days a week. I have the luxury of shooting 2-3 days a week. I like winning as much as the next guy and I’ve worked hard at it for years. My expectations are a little higher but I am still looking for the same result, a top 10% finish in every tournament. The 45 class usually had over 100 shooters and the 50 class had 20-30. Both classes are expected to see 10-15% growth this year. Which one of these classes needs to be thrown out locally. The Senior Known 45 class is typically one of the larger classes but 2 of us moved into the Senior Known 50 class this year. Is it fair to the 45-yard guys that I shoot down with them? Now considering that everyone in the 45-yard class has beaten me at some point I still don’t think that it’s fair to them. Which one goes?

(2001) Trophies:
The trophies shall be paid for by the Hosting Chapter.
Trophies are given in each class as follows:
Four shooters – Three trophies
Three shooters – Two trophies
Two shooters or less – One trophy

Is it a ridiculous thought that the local clubs spend more than they make on trophies? No, and this is why I say that. All BHA clubs are required to give out trophies. Most clubs don’t. Probably because targets are EXTREMELY too expensive! Last year I received one trophy and two plaques. Why does ASA tournaments have a higher attendance? Because they pay back money. It’s nice to get something sometimes but that’s not why most everyone shoots.

Archery is fun. That’s the reason I do it and I think that most people would agree with me.

More 2001 history
Age Groups:
Men and Women: Age 16 or older.
Junior: Age 13-15. Male and Female to compete together. Juniors may volunteer for appropriate adult divisions.
Youth: Age 9-12. Male and Female to compete together. Youth may volunteer for the Junior Division.
Cubs: Age 8 and under. Male and Female to compete together.
Seniors: Age 50 and older.

Range and Targets:
The distance from the shooting stake to the target shall be unknown (unmeasured).
ONE RED SHOOTING STAKE: Maximum forty-two (42) yards for: Open, Senior Open, Freestyle Unlimited & Limited
ONE GREEN SHOOTING STAKE: Maximum thirty-five (35) yards for: Senior Bowhunter, Bowhunter, Barebow, and Barebow Limited.
ONE BLUE SHOOTING STAKE: Maximum twenty-five (25) yards for: Recurve, Longbow, and Juniors.
ONE ORANGE SHOOTING STAKE: Maximum fifteen (15) yards for: Youth.
ONE WHITE SHOOTING STAKE: Maximum five (5) yards for: Cubs.

I don’t feel like BHA is a deer hunting organization like its roots due to the changes that are required to either improve or encourage archers to compete.
The past members and officers did an outstanding job with the fight for conversation and game laws. So well in fact that there hasn’t been any advancement since the safety harness push that I am aware of. Our bowhunting game laws here in Alabama are an accurate representation of these and the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources is very intuitive.
Who knows what changes lie ahead of us? I mentioned adding a known distance class in BHA back in 2009 on the forum. I was immediately pounced on! Fun fact-the hater from the forum is now competing in a known distance class.
When crossbows were brought up there were several gentlemen who fought against it passionately. I didn’t understand it because this organization is for quick and humane kills yet the crossbow guys couldn’t practice on a 3-D range. Things change and sometimes for the better.
What does that leave us to do now?
Shoot our bows and have fun fellowshipping.

Best of luck to you and prayers will be headed your way. See you in February.
Happy New Year!

January 23, 2022
5:44 pm
Mike Honaker
Montgomery

Forum Posts: 475

I have thought for years that having so many classes was not good for BHA. I believe that classes can be reduced and still accommodate ASA shooters. Just have one bow hunter class, one K class and one Open class. Seniors the same or not have a senior class. Women the same. The Pros are just there for practice
Youth and kids may have to stay the same as now because we need to nurture them and not Discourage them from coming.

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 305
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 9
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Larry McAfee: 758
Mike Crenshaw: 490
Mike Honaker: 475
Fatality: 415
headshot: 318
Kevin Ivey: 262
Hoytshooter: 258
Amanda Adams: 195
Larry Wood: 194
Scott Fletcher: 179
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 9
Members: 1108
Moderators: 4
Admins: 4
Forum Stats:
Groups: 10
Forums: 82
Topics: 2662
Newest Members:
Devin Pool, Thomas Bronson, Christi Osborne, Wyatt Anderson, Matthew Connell, Nic Gillott, jason whisenant, Kevin Rackard, Tyler Schrack, Anthony Blanchard
Moderators: msproctor: 265, James Hornbuckle: 185, Sandra Patterson: 2, Connie Crews: 0
Administrators: BHA Webmaster: 217, Shane Bates: 99, Ginger Boland: 1, Jeff Boland: 3