Central Zone Rules for 2014 Local Shoots|3D Archery Talk|Forum|Bow Hunters of Alabama

A A A
Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Central Zone Rules for 2014 Local Shoots
August 29, 2013
2:35 pm
Moose24
Guests

For 2014 the central zone will be using BHA tournament rules for our LOCAL shoots except as follows:

Unlimited 45yrd Max – 290fps
Open A – 45yrd Max – 290fps
Open B – 40yrd Max – 290fps
K40 – 40yrd Max – 290fps
Senior Advanced – 290fps

We are introducing a new Bowhunter class as follows:

Bowhunter Extreme – 40yrd Max – No Speed limit – Known Distance(rangefinder) – Alabama Legal Hunting Equipment – Allow the shooter to use adjustable sights. We will use the Stabilizer rule for this class as stated below:
Stabilizer must have a single point of attachment. The stabilizer can be any shape or configuration as long as it is contained within a theoretical sphere having a radius of 12 inches measured from the point of attachment.

Bowhunter Classes with a fixed pin restriction – movable sights will be allowed but the sight cannot be adjusted on the range. (ie. You set it on one yardage and leave it)

First round only will count. We will continue to allow shooters to shoot multiple rounds, however, only your first round score will count towards awards and Shooter of the Year.

THESE RULES WILL ONLY APPLY TO CENTRAL ZONE LOCAL SHOOTS. The State Tournament and central zone trails will use BHA tournament/trail rules.

The following users say thank you to Moose24 for this useful post:

Leldon Futral, Larry McAfee, Jack, Mike Honaker, Scott Fletcher, Shane Bates, Ken, Rusty, Dirk, nighthunter, bradleybr, Maxie Kizzire~~Life Member # 130
August 29, 2013
3:01 pm
Elk Hunter

Life Member
Forum Posts: 143
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 29, 2013
3:32 pm
headshot

Forum Posts: 318

Good Job CZ! it will be interesting to see if this draws any more Unlimited Shooters. i’m tired of having to shoot against myself

August 29, 2013
7:08 pm
Lance Patterson

Forum Posts: 65

AWESOME!!!!!

August 29, 2013
9:53 pm
Jack
Shelby County

Forum Posts: 8

That is great. This should be implemented for all shoots. Love the Bowhunter Extreme class, this should pull quite a few new shooters.

August 30, 2013
2:21 am
Mike Honaker
Montgomery

Forum Posts: 475

This should make for an interesting year.

August 31, 2013
8:29 am
aeroforce100

Life Member
Forum Posts: 72

Interesting concept. Will be waiting to see how this develops. Why the speed increase in only 4 classes?

September 1, 2013
6:06 pm
Hoytshooter

Life Member
Forum Posts: 258

We discussed this today at the charity shoot and the Southern Zone local shoots will follow the same format as the central zone local shoots for 2014. I do have one question though. If it is legal bowhunting equipment by Alabama Game Laws then do shooters have to use a 100 grain point for their arrows to be legal for the Hunter Extreme class? Alabama rules say that a 100 grain minimum must be used for hunting. I know also that we are trying to gain shooters from other organizations and ASA does not require screw in points for any of their classes. IBO only requires a screw in style point be used in the hunting classes. I think that most of us shoot NIBB or glue in points for 3D shoots for the simple fact that they don’t vibrate loose and you have to keep checking them shot after shot. Also the weight balance is better on these for shooting 3D targets. So I don’t see any point in imposing any arrow restrictions on point weight as most of us shoot either 100 grain points or better.

The following users say thank you to Hoytshooter for this useful post:

Fatality
September 1, 2013
6:20 pm
Moose24
Guests

Hoytshooter said

We discussed this today at the charity shoot and the Southern Zone local shoots will follow the same format as the central zone local shoots for 2014. I do have one question though. If it is legal bowhunting equipment by Alabama Game Laws then do shooters have to use a 100 grain point for their arrows to be legal for the Hunter Extreme class? Alabama rules say that a 100 grain minimum must be used for hunting.

Glad you guys are adopting the same rules. Good question on the points. I will confer with our chapter presidents but my initial answer would be any size point is legal. The official restriction as posted by the DCNR only addresses broadheads and we are not using broadheads.

From the DCNR:

ARCHERY EQUIPMENT USED FOR HUNTING DEER & TURKEY
Longbows, including recurve and compound bows, legal for hunting deer and turkey, must have minimum tension (draw weight) of 35 pounds. Maximum allowable draw reduction ­(let-off) is 90 percent at full draw. Arrows must be 20-inch minimum length and equipped with a sharpened broadhead. Broadheads must have a minimum weight of 100 grains. The minimum cutting diameter for any broadhead shall be ⅞ inch. Expandable broadheads shall have a ­minimum ⅞-inch cutting diameter after expansion of the broadhead. The minimum thickness for fixed blade broadheads shall be .015 inch, and the minimum thickness for expandable ­broadheads shall be .025 inch.

Crossbows (not legal for turkey) must have a minimum peak tension of 100 lbs. and must have a working safety. Arrows or bolts must be a minimum of 14 inches in length. Lighted pin sights are legal. Laser sights, attachments and light sources to project a beam forward of the bow are illegal for hunting.

Sights with magnification are prohibited on all bows except scopes may be used on crossbows.

September 1, 2013
8:17 pm
Larry McAfee
Tuscaloosa/Northport, AL

Life Member
Forum Posts: 758

I’d vote “yes” for a minimum grain field point of 100G.
Seems like most shooters shoot 100, 125 and up.
I know we are trying to have minimum restrictions for this class, but this sounds reasonable (there is a min. 100G for broadheads)….still goes by the DCNR rules.

September 1, 2013
8:29 pm
Shogun1

Life Member
Forum Posts: 81

A point of clarification.

The minimum broadhead tip weight is 100 grains for deer and turkey. It is not a 100 grain minimum for small game — or for pigs. Although I would argue that for pigs — heavier is better.

Also, I understand the restriction against using magnification on bows other than crossbows is in error.

You might check with DCNR — but I understand the booklet contained six errors. The magnification issue is one of them.

However, regardless of the actual rule — if the CZ interpretation is no lens in this class then so be it. Uniform application across all the clubs.

September 1, 2013
10:19 pm
Moose24
Guests

Thanks Jim. I had heard that magnification was legal but then I found that wording on the DCNR website. Seems like they would fix that!

September 2, 2013
10:51 am
Fatality

Life Member
Forum Posts: 415

aeroforce100 said

Interesting concept. Will be waiting to see how this develops. Why the speed increase in only 4 classes?

Can’t speak for the other Presidents but the only place to raise speed would be in Bowhunter b and a. I wanted these to match ASA Bow Novice and Hunter class. Those classes are still 280. Also, one argument BHA has heard is all these bowhunters are on the sidelines because they shoot 300+. The Extreme class was added to prove or disprove this argument. I hope it approves and we tap into the 50k bowhunters in Alabama.

The following users say thank you to Fatality for this useful post:

aeroforce100
September 3, 2013
5:08 pm
5toms
Guests

These new changes for the central zone shoots sounds wonderful. Glad to see somebody step out of box and try to help the sport. I’m sure there will be some issues to work out in the future, but things seem to be moving in the right direction. Can’t wait till the 2014 season

September 5, 2013
1:17 pm
5toms
Guests

Please don’t take my wording the wrong way. I know there are a lot of people helping our sport. I mean trying to help the sport by trying something different to see how we’ll it works.

February 6, 2014
8:29 pm
James Pritchard

Forum Posts: 40

I like what you guys are doing.

February 7, 2014
9:44 am
Larry McAfee
Tuscaloosa/Northport, AL

Life Member
Forum Posts: 758

At our first Tuscaloosa Chapter meeting several new members were excited to hear about the new classes, especially Bowhunter Extreme. One of those new members has not been shooting 3-D competition because he could not bring his “hunting set-up” or use a rangefinder.
The idea here is to get MORE folks to join us in our 3-D shoots and to recruit more BHA members. There is no “down side” to this…it just opens the door to embrace more archers and introduce them to organized archery shoots and expand our organization.
Even without this “test” or “experiment” in the Central and Southern Zones, it only makes good sense to allow BHA the opportunity to expand and include ALL archers into our competition shoots.
Several of our members, including myself, will shoot Extreme Bowhunter class this season.
It would be a pro-active move by BHA members and the Board to adopt positive ways to increase our membership numbers.

The following users say thank you to Larry McAfee for this useful post:

nighthunter
February 13, 2014
7:27 am
Adam McCoin

Forum Posts: 7

Are the speeds listed max speed allowed or minimum speed required?

February 13, 2014
8:10 am
Fatality

Life Member
Forum Posts: 415

Max Speed allowed. There is no minimum speed limit for any class.

February 14, 2014
8:02 pm
Adam McCoin

Forum Posts: 7

Thanks Fatality. I now feel comfortable with my new bow choice.

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 305
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 5
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Larry McAfee: 758
Mike Crenshaw: 490
Mike Honaker: 475
Fatality: 415
headshot: 318
Kevin Ivey: 262
Hoytshooter: 258
Amanda Adams: 195
Larry Wood: 194
Scott Fletcher: 179
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 9
Members: 1112
Moderators: 4
Admins: 4
Forum Stats:
Groups: 10
Forums: 82
Topics: 2667
Newest Members:
Stephen Hilson, Megan Rackard, Stephen Hopkins, Lisa Varnerbaby61295@yahoo.com, Devin Pool, Thomas Bronson, Christi Osborne, Wyatt Anderson, Matthew Connell, Nic Gillott
Moderators: msproctor: 265, James Hornbuckle: 186, Sandra Patterson: 3, Connie Crews: 0
Administrators: BHA Webmaster: 217, Shane Bates: 99, Ginger Boland: 1, Jeff Boland: 3